Advanced Business Writing
Writing is difficult at the best of times. But when you’re trying to persuade someone, your task becomes even more of a challenge. This one-day course will equip you with a variety of effective persuasive strategies and techniques. You’ll learn how to produce results by predicting the responses of your readers and tailoring meaningful messages to these audiences. Whether you're seeking funding… recommending action for senior management… attempting to change behaviour… or striving to gain agreement, you can benefit from the approaches that Advanced Business Writing offers.
Designed as a follow on to The Basics of Business Writing (or its equivalent), Advanced Business Writing will make good writers better by teaching them how to write more persuasively. To this end, the workshop focuses on techniques to help you compel readers to adopt recommendations and agree with your proposals.
- Writing persuasive business texts that encourage reader buy-in
- Understanding the three parts of persuasion
- Using deductive and inductive reasoning
- Applying Toulmin logic to cement your arguments
- Choosing direct or indirect structures according to expected audience response
- Applying the seven-step classic rhetoric structure
- Tactfully and effectively refuting opposite viewpoints
- Supporting your arguments with proper evidence
- Avoiding faulty logic
- Those who have taken The Basics of Business Writing and would like to hone their business-writing skills further
- Anyone who wants to communicate more persuasively in writing and save time
- People who want to enhance their professional credibility, leadership skills, and efficiency
Graham Young, MBA, is an independent writer, editor, and consultant with more than 30 years’ experience in business and government communications. He has delivered some 600 business writing and presentation skills workshops since 2000 and taught Business English at the University of Ottawa. His lively, informative professional-development workshops instruct participants how to communicate effectively on the job. In addition to his teaching experience, Graham also has a Teachers and Trainers of Adults certificate.
"I loved this course and learned a lot! The instructor was very skillful and organized."
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.