Advanced Editing Skills
Building on your knowledge of editorial basics, you’ll learn about handling the many language and process decisions that arise in document production. You’ll practice on real-life documents and find out about procedures and tools to help you to work efficiently. Attend to brush up or update your skills, knowledge and techniques.
You’re invited to bring a document (electronic or print) from your workplace for consultation or as a possible group exercise.
- Selecting the appropriate level of editing
- Managing the editorial process
- Determining your statement of work
- Editing when time is short
- Maintaining the author’s voice and content while clarifying the message
- Selecting appropriate style and tone
- Shortening documents
- Spotting errors
- Editing citations and references
- Fact checking
- Knowing when to “break the rules”
- Building style guides and style sheets
- Streamlining work using electronic tools, including MS Word and PerfectIt
- Using editorial resources to explain your decisions and develop your skills
- Editing your own writing
- Writers and editors who have taken Practical Grammar, Writing in Plain Language, The Right Word, Editing Skills for the Workplace, and Proofreading (or have equivalent knowledge and experience)
- Writers and editors who need to make complicated decisions and therefore contribute extra value to texts
Melanie Sexton, Ph.D., is an editor, technical writer, and instructor, with more than 20 years experience teaching University courses and workshops in grammar and writing skills. As technical writer and editor, she has designed on-line help systems for software applications, edited technical documentation suites, written style guides and standards, and managed a variety of writing projects. She also happens to be profoundly deaf and has designed and delivered workshops on deafness and disability issues for both government and private-sector clients.
« Excellente formation de haut calibre. La formatrice a mis l’accent sur les besoins et préférences du groupe. Sa compétence est impressionnante et inspirante. Je retourne au travail avec un nouveau regard sur ma pratique et de meilleurs outils. Merci infiniment! »
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.