Dealing with Difficult Behaviours
Most workplaces have at least one person who is perceived as difficult. Difficult behaviour can manifest itself as pervasive negativity, rudeness, impatience, recurring drama, even open anger and aggression. Like all negative forces, difficult attitudes and behaviour tend to be contagious. They drain collective energy, foster misperceptions, bring out the worst in others and spark conflict.
Difficult behaviour may be inevitable, yet it is also manageable. It needn’t lead to lost productivity, hobbled relationships or a toxic atmosphere. In this workshop you will learn what lies behind colleagues’, supervisors’ and employees’ difficult behaviour and how to defuse it. You will learn to identify various types of difficult behaviour. You will also learn personalized conscious communication techniques and methods based on Japanese psychology to understand better and be better understood. Finally, you will learn how to avoid difficult, unproductive situations or transform them into unexpectedly positive energy, and to be well-prepared.
This one-day course provides basic techniques to deal with difficult behaviours that can be resolved through standard methods of conflict resolution. It does not address more complex difficult behaviours linked to personality disorders or mental health problems that require more advanced techniques, which are covered in the two-day advanced course Equip Yourself to Deal with Difficult Behaviours — A Specialized Approach.
- What lies behind difficult behaviour
- The importance of assessing a problem correctly before intervening
- Difficult or different? How to build rapport and identify preferred modes of communication
- How to step into another person’s shoes and get a 360° viewpoint using methods based on Japanese psychology
- Difficult behaviors: identify what strategy to adopt
- Practising the art of the focused interview to understand and be understood
- Solving difficult cases: scripts to address particularly difficult situations and behaviors
- Employees, supervisors and managers who must deal with difficult and challenging behaviours and personalities
- Anyone who wants to coexist more peacefully and positively with and deal more confidently with difficult behaviours
- Anyone who wants tools for transforming negatives into positives
Jocelyne Durand, M. Ed. has been managing her business, Conciousness 360, since 2011. She is a Certified Executive Coach with the Boss Whispering Institute (BWI) (2013), specialized in coaching “abrasive” leaders and a Certified Organizational Ombudsman Practitioner (CO-OP®) from the International Ombudsman Association (IOA) (2013). She teaches for the Centre for Continuing Education of the Ottawa University since 2011. She has worked for the Public Service for 17 years as an Organizational development expert and as a consultant, coach and practitioner in the areas of conflict resolution and ombudsman services. She is an adult educator, a Neuro linguistic programming trainer and Master Practitioner (1994, 2000) and is certified in Methods of Japanese Psychology (1996, 2012). She practices as certified naturopath since 1991. Many of her articles on communication, health, spirituality, and personal development have been published in specialized magazines.
"I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It was a good reminder of somes topics learned in my Supervisory course but focused on the most difficult part...dealing with difficult behaviours. Thanks!"
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.