Developing Your Negotiation Skills
Negotiation is essential to a productive work environment. It provides the mechanism for reaching agreements between people, organizations and countries. Negotiation also helps prevent conflict and improve the quality of workplace relationships.
This two-day workshop offers strategies that focus on discovering individual perspectives and interests, and applying techniques that engage cooperation and joint problem solving. These strategies will help you put together and suggest mutually satisfying solutions in a wide variety of circumstances. By exploring your personal characteristics as they relate to negotiation, you will develop the skills required to encourage respectful relationships with colleagues and adversaries alike. At the end of this workshop, you will have a better grasp of the communication and negotiation skills that promote mutually beneficial agreements, the resolution of conflicts and the overall satisfaction of everyone concerned.
- Discovering the merits of negotiation
- Understanding the negotiation process
- Planning and preparing for negotiations
- Analysing the situation from different perspectives
- Assessing the relative power of the stakeholders in reaching a negotiated solution
- Pinpointing problems
- Communicating effectively during negotiations
- Behaviours that foster win-win solutions
- Taming the difficult negotiator
- Developing your negotiation strategy for success
- Anyone who must negotiate when problem-solving, and when working on tasks, projects, or conflict prevention
Nathan Lockhart, M.A., MCATD, has more than 20 years of professional experience as an advisor, manager and trainer. A former employee of Health Canada and the Privy Council Office, his knowledge spans a number of important disciplines including policy analysis and development, negotiation, issues management and adult training and development. Nathan is a dynamic public speaker with a strong understanding of the workplace challenges and demands facing today's professionals. In addition to publicly available workshops, he has provided training to more than 30 federal departments and agencies as well as organizations in the private and non-governmental sectors.
"This was my first time with the Centre for Continuing Education. it was excellent!"
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.