Fundamentals of Public Policy Development
A department or agency’s ability to implement solutions to public policy problems is, in part, a function of its internal policy analysis and development capacity. Through a combination of theory, discussions and practical exercises, participants will review and practice key elements of the policy development cycle. Specifically, the workshop will examine how to identify current and emerging issues and problems, gather relevant information and analyze it critically to assess the potential impact, identify potential policy solutions including the strengths and weaknesses for each, formulate recommendations and advice for consideration by senior management, implement the approved solution, and then monitor and evaluate its effectiveness.
- The policy development cycle (i.e., from problem definition to evaluation)
- Policy development within the context of the Government of Canada, including Cabinet, legislative and regulatory policy approval processes
- Public, political and organizational influence on policy development and implementation
- Communicating public policy to Canadians
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Providing strategic and tactical advice to senior management
- Review of selected case studies
- Entry and mid-level policy advisors, analysts
- Anyone working, or looking to work, in the field of policy within the Government of Canada
Nathan Lockhart, M.A., MCATD, has more than 20 years of professional experience as an advisor, manager and trainer. A former employee of Health Canada and the Privy Council Office, his knowledge spans a number of important disciplines including policy analysis and development, negotiation, issues management and adult training and development. Nathan is a dynamic public speaker with a strong understanding of the workplace challenges and demands facing today's professionals. In addition to publicly available workshops, he has provided training to more than 30 federal departments and agencies as well as organizations in the private and non-governmental sectors.
“I have taken away a lot of knowledge that will help me in my day-to-day activities.”
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.