Influential PowerPoint Presentations
A well thought out and constructed PowerPoint presentation can be an extremely effective way of communicating complex information quickly and efficiently to a range of audiences including senior officials and decision-makers. Hence, the ability to prepare and deliver effective PowerPoint presentations is a foundation skill for many in both the public and private sectors.
A combination of examples, discussions, and hands-on exercises will be used to assist participants in drafting presentations that are well organized, logical in terms of delivering content and messages, and easy to follow. Templates and checklists for planning, drafting and editing presentations will be reviewed and provided to participants.
Note: this course focuses on the development and organization of content for a PowerPoint presentation and not on the technical capabilities of PowerPoint software.
- What constitutes an influential PowerPoint presentation?
- Types of presentations (information, discussion, decision)
- Planning the presentation: identifying the audience, the intent of the presentation and desired outcome
- Key components of a presentation: issue summary, background, current status, options/recommendations, considerations, conclusion and next steps
- Finding the right balance between detail and conciseness
- Elements of style
- Key challenges and lessons learned: eliminating unnecessary content, developing messages that resonate, collaborative writing, working with tight deadlines, etc.
- Communications, program and policy analysts and managers, professional writers or anyone who is called on to prepare and deliver effective presentations
Nathan Lockhart, B.A., B.Soc.Sc., has more than 15 years of professional experience as a manager and senior advisor. A former employee of Health Canada and the Privy Council Office, his knowledge spans a number of important disciplines including policy analysis and development, issues management and strategic communications planning. A dynamic public speaker with a strong understanding of the workplace challenges and demands facing today's professionals, he has provided a range of management, communications and policy development training to officials at all levels.
“A very useful, interesting and practical workshop. I look forward to applying what I have learned.”
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.