In today’s dynamic and highly complex global economy, it is critically important for policy leaders to be strategic thinkers, an increasingly valued competency for senior managers in business as well as in government. Whether the objective is to introduce a new product line or develop a new policy direction, decision-makers or managers supporting the decision-making process must be able to systematically identify the goals, emerging opportunities, and possible obstacles.
This one-day course aims to guide students through a disciplined process to help a business or organization plan for and make transitions, and ultimately to devise the best course of actions. You will also gain a better insight into your own strategic thinking skills – are they up to par or could they use some enhancement?
- What is Strategic Thinking?
- Why is Strategic Thinking important?
- Essential Traits of a Strategic Thinker
- Essential success factors
- Self-assessment - Faults or pitfalls to avoid - How to enhance personal strategic thinking abilities?
- Step-by-step Strategic Thinking Process - Ensuring appropriate initial conditions are in place - Exploring feasible options - Description of potential methods - Devising tactics that contribute to successful outcomes - Performance evaluation
- Practical exercises that illustrate the key concepts
- Anyone who has responsibility for the development of strategic plans and policies to address the goals and objectives of a business or organization. Appropriate for participants who are relatively new to the work world, as well as for seasoned staff who wish to improve or refresh their strategic thinking skills.
Peter Levesque, BSocSc., M.A., is a consultant and trainer based in Ottawa. He has twenty years of experience working with governments, research institutes, and professional associations on issues of knowledge mobilization. His career has included serving as Deputy-Director of Knowledge Products and Mobilization at SSHRC, as Knowledge Exchange Specialist at CHEO, and Chair of KM at Ontario Neurotrama Foundation. He serves on several boards of non-profit organizations and is President of the Institute for Knowledge Mobilization. Peter is an experienced and sought after speaker, facilitator, and commentator on issues of education, research, knowledge, and social media.
"Amazing course! Amazing instructor! Thank you."
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.