Writing Well II
A certain mystique surrounds good writers, but essentially writing is a craft like woodwork, and the more you practice, the better you get. This workshop assumes you have learned the rules for writing grammatically correct sentences. It also assumes you know, in theory at least, what makes them clear and concise. Now you’d like some concentrated practice applying the theory in a variety of contexts as well as some reliable feedback on your writing.
During this workshop, you will meet a variety of challenges such as writing well-formed paragraphs, modulating tone for different audiences, choosing an effective document structure, and editing your writing to reduce wordiness and improve focus. You will also gain some insight into how you work best so that you can save time and reduce anxiety when you must tackle a writing project.
- Applying what you already know
- Developing flexibility to meet different writing challenges
- Structuring paragraphs
- Controlling tone
- Choosing reader-centred document structures
- Knowing which writing rules you can break and choosing when to break them
- Managing the writing process from draft to release
- Anyone who wants to practice concepts learned in Writing Well I or to build on basic writing skills
- Anyone whose primary requirement is guided writing practice rather than theory
- Anyone who wants to write good paragraphs and improve document structure
- Anyone who wants to develop an efficient writing process
Melanie Sexton, Ph.D., is an editor, technical writer, and instructor, with more than 20 years experience teaching University courses and workshops in grammar and writing skills. As technical writer and editor, she has designed on-line help systems for software applications, edited technical documentation suites, written style guides and standards, and managed a variety of writing projects. She also happens to be profoundly deaf and has designed and delivered workshops on deafness and disability issues for both government and private-sector clients.
“The instructor teaches with the same clarity and enthusiasm she inspires in her students' writing.”
Select a session
Our courses, delivered exclusively to your employees, offer different levels of training customization to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
To discuss your training needs, please click here to submit a request for a group training.