What is PRINCE2® ?
The PRINCE2 methodology is a structured project management method that guides individuals and organizations through the essentials for running a successful project, regardless of type or scale. It provides a “How To” guide to manage effective projects. Over 1 million PRINCE2 exams have been taken across the world.
PRINCE2 also enables organizations to clearly define project roles and responsibilities and integrate these with job roles, personal reviews, objectives and planning and management systems such as the balanced scorecard.
PRINCE2 is compatible with and improves the results produced for all other project management certifications, including PMP®.
Benefits for organizations:
PRINCE2 can help you focus and deliver value to your organization. Some of the benefits include:
- Improving cost control through coordination of activities and teams using tried and tested processes
- Improving effectiveness through fact-based decision-making using defined and relevant metrics
- Delivering reliably and helping deliver to budget, quality and time specifications, while mitigating risks and identifying opportunities
- Supporting cross-functional work.
The PRINCE2 certification provides varying levels, of which the two most popular are Foundation and Practitioner. These certifications are aimed at Project Managers and all those who are involved in planning and delivering projects.
See our PRINCE2 certification section below to find out more
|PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner Certification (or Re-Certification)||5 Days|
|PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner Certification for PMP®||5 Days|
|PRINCE2® Foundation Training and Exam||3 Days|
|PRINCE2® Practitioner Training and Exam (or Re-Certification)||2 Days|
Why PRINCE2 and PMBOK?
There is a lot of value in project managers holding both a PRINCE2 and PMP certificate. Below we’ve listed just some of the main reasons why every Project Manager should have both:
- PRINCE2 is the how, who and when to PMBOK’s what and why…here are a few examples:
- In PRINCE2 the Business Case is a more dynamic feature as it’s incorporated throughout the project to ensure continual business justification
- PRINCE2 clearly defines roles and responsibilities across the whole project and emphasizes the participation of internal customers and the people doing the work
- PMBOK offers much more focus on the human side of projects and conflict management which is not covered in PRINCE2.
- PRINCE2 has no pre-requisite (not even professional experience!). That way before you begin to manage that first project you can learn how to. The addition benefit is that you don’t need to unlearn bad habits that were picked up while the project manager acquired experience.
- Understanding both PRINCE2 and the PMBOK guide means that project managers can speak the same language globally leading to more effective communication.
- Having knowledge of both saves busy project managers valuable time; while the PMBOK guide gives practitioners all the tools and techniques they need, PRINCE2 gives project managers an easily repeatable (but also tailorable) method that can be applied to every project they run.
*PRINCE2 is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of Axelos Limited. All rights reserved.
PMI is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
PRINCE2® Certification Exam
What if I’m already a PMP?
We recognize the prior learning and achievements of individuals who hold a PMP certification, allowing them to progress directly to PRINCE2 Practitioner level without needing to take the PRINCE2 Foundation certification. This is because we understand and appreciate that PMP holders are experienced individuals for which the Foundation level may not be appropriate. Click here to visit the PRINCE2® for Project Management Professionals (PMP)® course page!